- Posted by Johanna on June 13, 2006 at 11:16 am
- Category: Graphic Novel News
Before Age of Bronze, Eric Shanower wrote and drew a series of five Oz graphic novels, published from 1986 to 1992. Long out of print, IDW Publishing is bringing them back in the one-volume Adventures in Oz. The five Oz graphic novels collected are The Enchanted Apples of Oz, The Secret Island of Oz, The Ice King of Oz, The Forgotten Forest of Oz, and The Blue Witch of Oz.
The book was originally due in April of this year, but Shanower has just released an update saying that the book went to press last Friday, which means it will ship within the next four to six weeks. Here’s some of his comments about the project, which sounds amazing:
The artwork for all five Oz graphic novels has been newly scanned from the original art, both black-and-white and color. The amazing John Uhrich then went over it all, retouching each and every panel to make the artwork look its best. This was an exacting and meticulous job, and so immense that it took Uhrich over a year. I made some minor revisions to the artwork and text, made sure that mistakes from the original publication of the books weren’t repeated, and had approval of every aspect of production.
This sounds like a great project with lots of bookstore potential, but unfortunately, it’s not that simple. There’s also a signed limited edition that contains seventy pages of bonus material, including:
- “General Jinjur of Oz”, the complete short Oz comics story which led to the graphic novels — Part One in color, script and layouts for Part Two (previously unpublished)
- Artwork from Shanower’s original proposal for the series
- The original endings of The Forgotten Forest of Oz (script and layouts) and The Blue Witch of Oz (full-color finished art), both previously unpublished
- Pencil art for “The Forbidden Fruit of Oz”, 5 pages of the Trot and Cap’n Bill comics story that became The Enchanted Apples of Oz
- Illustrations from “The Ice King”, the short prose story that became The Ice King of Oz
- Pencil art for 4 pages plus script and layouts for 2 pages of “The Story of Nebelle”, the complete short comics story that became The Forgotten Forest of Oz
- Design sketches for characters and costumes, diagrams, and advertising art for the Oz graphic novels
- Plus short Oz comics stories and various unpublished and little-seen Oz illustrations, many in full color, from the past 25 years
I now want to get a copy of that just to see the process work and artistic development of the projects. The regular book is $40 (order code FEB06 3134), with the limited edition priced at $75 (order code FEB06 3135). The special edition was solicited as a hardcover, but apparently those plans changed, although that binding would make the price more palatable to me. Regardless, it’s always good to see more of Shanower’s gorgeous art.