- Posted by Johanna on January 30, 2007 at 8:55 pm
- Category: LinkBlogging
Ad agency dubs “young women who embrace their independence” “Atalantas” .
Sounds wonderful, although I’m leery of agency-driven anything. Not a bad collection of qualities, though:
How to Spot an Atalanta
– She is independent: Single throughout her 20s, she is unwilling to settle for less than the best.
– She has a bold attitude: And a lot of it. Some may call her unswaying or stubborn; we see it as her need to assert herself.
– She loves to travel: A yearning for adventure and a spirit that can’t be contained in one place is part of what makes her unique.
– She stands out wherever she is, both for her ideals and her devil-may-care attitude.
– Living in the public eye may not define the Atalanta, but it’s something she is comfortable with and sometimes relishes.
The role models listed are too actress-heavy in lieu of other types of accomplished women, in my opinion, but I want to know why I didn’t hear about THIS myth when we studied legends in school:
In Greek mythology, Atalanta broke with convention and refused to settle down until she finished her education and saw the world; when she finally did marry, it was on her own terms.