- Posted by Johanna on July 18, 2007 at 7:51 pm
- Category: Recipes and Food
Dinner tonight was a healthier twist on that American classic, meatloaf.
Mix together the following:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 cup of quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 eggs + 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons of ketchup
- 2 minced garlic gloves
- 2 tablespoons of dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon of dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
in a very large bowl. (Traditionally, this is done with the hands, which makes me go “oook”.) Make it into a loaf shape on a broiler pan. Bake it at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes (or until it’s 160 degrees inside; mine usually takes less than an hour).
Let it stand for 10 minutes before slicing and serving with ketchup, tater tots, and apple slices. Ok, those last bits are just suggestions.