- Posted by Johanna on September 15, 2007 at 3:44 pm
- Category: Comic News
Here’s an early page from this year’s Halloween issue, Sabrina the Teenage Witch #88.
I really like the way Tania del Rio blends several different levels of material:
- the plot for this issue: Sabrina has concerns about Shinji’s new girlfriend Hemlock but doesn’t know how to tell him.
- the continuing story: The problems with the mana tree and the kids’ struggles to investigate.
- acknowledgment of ever-changing relationships: Usually it’s Sabrina’s feelings about her boyfriends, but here, it’s the two young women. And how wonderful is that, that the two girls, however briefly, talk about their relationship with each other?
- an acceptance of change: You may no longer feel the way you did, but what’s to come may still be good. And you may not have only one true love or only one bestest friend ever… you may see attractive qualities in different people. I’m thinking of how Sabrina’s found it difficult to choose either Harvey or Shinji without question. Both have virtues and flaws. It’s more like life. But as shown with Llandra, there’s still the possibility of deep true love.
- the art: Even a simple talking scene is kept interesting with expressions, body language, backgrounds, and vibrant colors.
- humor: Meaningful dialogue is counterbalanced with a light-hearted approach.
It’s on sale next Wednesday for $2.25 US.