- Posted by Johanna on November 10, 2007 at 6:17 pm
- Category: Recipes and Food
Those of you following my continuing saga to make soup in my crockpot will be pleased to know that I had success tonight. Turns out my mom had an immersion blender I could borrow (the best way to try out small kitchen appliances, which can be pricey, especially if you wind up not using them), which was the first hurdle.
Next was the recipe. Google turned up a wide range of broccoli cheddar soup recipes, ranging from the barely-counts-as-cooking kind (combine frozen chopped broccoli, shredded cheese, and two cans of cream of celery soup) to the too-complex kind that usually didn’t involve a slow cooker. The one below seemed a good compromise, and it turned out yummy!
Put in the crockpot the following:
- 1 10-ounce package of frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (I used half a small one, to approximate)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups shredded cheese (I used a bag of pre-shredded cheddar)
- 5 cups of milk (I used 4½, because I was using 2% milk. I like this soup thick, and I was concerned about the lower fat milk not thickening enough)
- Salt, to taste (I forgot about this, but I don’t eat much salt)
Stir well. Cook on low for 2½ – 4 hours. If you like chunky, don’t blend it. I ran the immersion blender through it, and wound up with just what I was looking for. If you want, you can sprinkle a little more grated cheese on top before serving. I served it with toasted ham sandwiches and fruit.