I have a confession to make: the major reason KC wanted our new Blu-ray player for his birthday was because he enjoys watching Lost, and he’s already anticipating Lost: The Complete Collection, out next month on August 24.
The big appeal for fans like him is that the set contains additional story material, which will make this a must-have for any dedicated viewer. If you’re not a Blu-ray fan, the set is also available on DVD. Here’s the official content list, with my comments interspersed in italics:
- Every episode in the series (Seasons 1 through 6)
- Over 30 hours of Season 1-6 bonus materials (the previously released materials from Season 1-5 and the all-new Season 6 bonus material) — nice! this is definitely an upgrade set, and we can replace our previous boxes without losing anything
- The sixth season bonus material includes deleted scenes; bloopers; four episode commentaries; a featurette where cast, crew, writers, and producers discuss the series ending; and “a much-anticipated new chapter of the island’s story”
- A unique series of featurettes that takes viewers on very personal tours of Oahu where the series was created, with key cast and crew as they reflect
- Exploring the global phenomenon that is Lost, bonus showcases events ranging from the series cast and crew at San Diego’s famed Comic-Con convention to international voice recordings, local events, and even fan parties — cool, I enjoy fan culture even when I’m not one of the fans
- A closer look at some of the props with cast, writers and producers, exploring their significance, stories and emotional ties to the characters
- Humorous yet emotional look at every character who died on the series — woo hoo! black comedy!
- 16 hilarious Lost “Slapdowns” featurettes showcasing celebrity Lost fans who confront Executive Producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse to ask press questions about the final season, including the Muppets and cast members Nestor Carbonell, Michael Emerson, Rebecca Mader, and more — Muppets! Love that Disney cross-promotion. I would hope they’d also include the 8-minute-or-so catchup videos they’d run at the beginning of a new season, cause they were fun.
- And toys! “The exciting collectible packaging also includes a Special Edition collectible Senet game as seen in Season Six, a custom LOST island replica, an exclusive episode guide, a collectible Ankh, and a black light penlight.”
I like the Egyptian game of Senet, which I learned from a Time-Life book on ancient cultures as a kid. Although that had you make your own dice-replacement throwing sticks from popsicle sticks, so it’s not quite the same. Anyway. The key piece for fans will be the “brand new 12-minute LOST chapter called ‘New Man in Charge’, which offers a look at what Hurley (Jorge Garcia) and Ben (Michael Emerson) do as the new Island overseers.” Here’s a photo from ABC:
It’s similar to when comics are collected into a trade paperback with a new story chapter, which used to annoy me, but now, with things I (or KC) love, I know I’m going to want to get the more permanent edition anyway, so I’m kind of glad to have new material to read/view. And with a complicated story like this one, watching it at my own pace (more than one episode at a time), and knowing that there’s some kind of ending, makes it more enjoyable for me.
Similar Posts: Lost: The Complete Sixth Season (and the Complete Collection)
§ Shout Factory Has Complete Transformers
§ Leverage Season 2 DVD Out Today
§ Superman, Justice League Complete Series DVDs Coming in November
§ DK’s Lost Encyclopedia to Include More Clarification for Questions