The amusing cartoon about a super-villain (Steve Carell) redeemed by adopting three orphans, Despicable Me, is due out on DVD next Tuesday, December 14. It’s good timing, since it makes for great family viewing over the holidays, or a suitable gift, if you can figure out all the versions. There are four editions available:
All the versions include these special features:
- The World of Despicable Me
- “Despicable Beats”, in which director Chris Renaud talks about the music by Pharrell Williams
- The game “Gru’s Rocket Builder”, where the player has to get stolen world landmarks back to their home countries
- “A Global Effort”, about how French and American co-directors worked with an American and English cast to make a movie in France
- Commentary with directors Chris Renaud and Pierre Coffin, featuring the Minions
The two Blu-ray editions also include a picture-in-picture making-of with interviews and behind-the-scenes footage and “Miss Hattie’s Top Secret Cookie Recipes”.
To get the best special feature, you have to get one of the enhanced editions (2-disc DVD or a Blu-ray). In addition to two “Super Silly Fun Land” games and a featurette on “The Voices of Despicable Me”, there are three new mini-movies with the Minions. These adorable little yellow guys were breakout characters in the film, providing laughter whenever they showed up, so making new short cartoons with them is a great idea. To show you how cool they are, here’s a sneak preview of one.