- Posted by Johanna on July 12, 2011 at 7:30 pm
- Category: Comic News
While DC is embracing the future with same-day digital release, Marvel is attempting to shore up the traditional comic book market. It’s a good strategy — DC has historically had more direct market retailer-friendly policies, but now Marvel has the opportunity to look like the nice guy, concerned with promoting the traditional comic outlet. Since retail sources estimate that the number of dedicated comic book stores in the U.S. could be as low as 1800, new stores are needed — although I can’t recommend anyone get into the business these days, what with print of all kinds being a difficult industry experiencing severe contractions.
Anyway, Marvel has announced that they will be providing the following benefits to new comic book stores (or additional locations of established stores or new chain outlets) as part of a “New Stores initiative”:
- A six-month 53% Discount
- Marvel’s new inclusion in the ongoing Diamond “stocked to the Max” program, following the same Diamond rules with one-time stocking discount of 59% on all in stock items!
- FREE copies of nearly two dozen of Marvel’s top-selling collections featuring the world’s most popular superheroes
- FREE recent variant covers
- Exclusive sales calls from Marvel and Diamond staff
- FREE access to first looks on the Marvel Retailer Resource Center
- FREE access to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited
- Promotion via Marvel.Com and Marvel’s social media networks
- Extensive promotional material to create greater consumer awareness of Marvel product
As with Marvel’s online retailer resource, prospective store owners will want to evaluate how much of a “Marvel” store they want to be, but a significant discount is a huge help to an aspiring comic shop, especially as they’re working to get their inventory right in the early months.
To participate in the Support Your Stores initiative, retailers should contact their Diamond representative to ask to be included. I guess that assumes that the store is new, but not so new as to not yet have a Diamond account.