To celebrate the movie’s 30th anniversary, Universal has announced the October Blu-ray release of E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial as a combo pack with DVD, digital copy (iTunes-compatible), and UltraViolet version.
I’m curious to see the film again — I don’t think I’ve watched it since the summer it came out. The Blu-ray promises all-new digital restoration with 7.1 surround sound. There’s also a new feature, an interview with director Steven Spielberg, as well as newly released set footage.
The press release notes how different movie-going was back then, pointing out that E.T. was #1 at the box office over 16 different weekends. It’s the fourth-highest domestic grosser when adjusted for inflation (it’s the 8th unadjusted).
The bonus features, per press release, are as follows:
- The E.T. Journals (Blu-ray only) — In this all-new bonus feature, retrace the day-to-day experience of creating E.T from never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes footage shot by Academy Award-winning cinematographer John Toll. This piece will give viewers a unique feeling of being on the set and living the excitement of what it was like to make E.T.
- Steven Spielberg & E.T. — Watch an all-new interview with Steven Spielberg, as he reflects back on the film and discusses his experience working with the actors, as well as his overall and current perspective on E.T.
- Deleted Scenes — Two scenes from the 2002 version of the film.
- A Look Back — A special insider’s look into the making of E.T., featuring interviews with Steven Spielberg, the cast, and others intimately involved with the film.
- The E.T. Reunion — The cast and filmmaker reunite to discuss their thoughts on the impact of the film.
- The Evolution and Creation of E.T. (Blu-ray only) — From idea to screenplay, through casting and making the film.
- The Music of E.T.: A Discussion With John Williams (Blu-ray only) — Interviews and footage focused on the long-standing relationship between John Williams and Steven Spielberg.
- The 20th Anniversary Premiere (Blu-ray only) — Composer John Williams played the score of E.T. live at the Shrine Auditorium for the re-release premiere of E.T. This featurette gives us a behind the scenes look at this presentation.
- Plus trailer, ads, marketing material, and design illustrations.
There will also be a DVD release, without the features noted above.
Henry Thomas, Drew Barrymore, and Robert MacNaughton in E.T.
Peter Coyote and Dee Wallace in E.T.
In conjunction with the release, Universal will also be putting out an iTunes app, a game created by Chillingo. “E.T.: The Green Planet” is inspired by the novel and allows players to travel back to E.T.’s home planet, where they create botanical gardens.
Similar Posts: Caddyshack: New Doc on Blu-Ray
§ Despicable Me Out December 14 With New Minions Cartoons
§ Cowboys & Aliens Comes to Blu-ray, DVD December 6
§ Back to the Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Due October 26
§ Ask Steven Butler About Archie Redesign