Continuing in its tradition of releasing cult-favorite horror films — including Swamp Thing and The Howling — Shout! Factory’s Scream Factory imprint has announced another nostalgic classic. Night of the Comet will be available on Blu-ray for the first time on November 19.
I watched this recently, and it’s still a lot of fun. Very 80s, of course, in clothes but also attitudes, as it explores the idea of the end of the world. (With the nuclear apprehension of the era, armageddon scenarios were common.)
Everyone’s partying, ready for the impending visit of a comet, but it turns out to bring disaster. Anyone outside dies; those who were partially exposed start turning into zombies. The only survivors we know about are Regina (Catherine Mary Stewart), her younger sister (Kelli Maroney), and a truck driver (Robert Beltran).
Once they discover their plight, the first thing the girls do is go shopping … only to run into another survivor who’s gone villainous. There’s also a group of scientists (including Mary Woronov) who think they’ve outsmarted the disaster, only to discover their hubris and start chasing the girls to develop a cure from their blood. It’s definitely got its roots in horror, but there’s plenty of comedy and light-heartedness, making it enjoyable for someone like me who prefers laughs to chills.
The Blu-ray combo pack includes a DVD edition and these bonus features:
- Three commentaries: one with writer/director Thom Eberhardt, one with production designer John Muto; and one with stars Kelli Maroney and Catherine Mary Stewart
- Interviews with Maroney and Stewart, titled “Valley Girls at the End of the World”
- Interview with Robert Beltran, titled “The Last Man on Earth?”
- Interview with make-up effects creator David B. Miller, titled “Curse of the Comet”
- A reversible art wrap with new retro-style artwork backed with theatrical key art
- Theatrical trailer and photo galleries
That sounds like a comprehensive package, typical of Shout!’s efforts. If you preorder now from Shout! Factory, you’ll get the best price as well as an 18″x24″ poster featuring the newly commissioned artwork (while supplies last).