- Posted by Johanna on July 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm
- Category: Digital and Webcomics
I had an app on my iPad that worked just fine for reading comics, but after a recent upgrade that promised cool new features but broke a number of previous ones, I found myself looking for a new option. My requirements were simple, I thought:
- The ability to view CBR and PDF files in one app (since I get both kinds as review copies)
- The ability to import from Dropbox directly in the app (since that’s my preferred transfer method)
- The ability to read left-to-right or right-to-left (with manga)
- It would be nice if it were free, since that let me try out functionality without commitment
It wasn’t so easy to find all those in one app, though. After reading a bunch of sites and trying out a few, I did find a great app that gave me everything I was looking for, plus more new features that I didn’t expect (like faster downloads and automatic title sorting). That was the Chunky Comic Reader. Silly name and icon aside, it’s got great performance and does exactly what I wanted. There are more details at the app website.
Turns out that I was lucky, since Chunky wasn’t free until a couple of months ago, when version 2.0 was released (and let’s here it for an app that’s still got active development and support ongoing). Now, if you want to contribute to the developer, there’s a pro upgrade (reviewed here).