The Perhapanauts Return Via Kickstarter
I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed reading the Perhapanauts. The series, written by Todd Dezago and illustrated by Craig Rousseau, has had a few publishers and stops and starts over the years (as can happen with an independent adventure series). It’s about a team investigating weird monsters who are themselves odd creatures — a sasquatch, a ghost, a telepath, and more. (Find out more about the characters at the official website.) Here’s the bibliography as far as I know, in case you want to read the whole thing:
- The Perhapanauts: First Blood — collects the first four-issue miniseries from Dark Horse (2005-2006)
- The Perhapanauts: Second Chances — collects the second four-issue miniseries from Dark Horse (2006-2007)
- The Perhapanauts Volume 0: Dark Days — reprints the first two Dark Horse collections under the Image label
- The Perhapanauts: Triangle — collects the first five issues and the annual published after the series moved to Image in 2008
- The Perhapanauts: Treasure Obscura — reprints the remaining Image issues from 2009-2010, including various one-shots and webcomics
- The Perhapanauts: Danger Down Under — reprints the five-issue miniseries of the same title from 2012
This is all available digitally via ComiXology as well.
Now, the series is coming back via Kickstarter. The campaign has been up for a week, and it’s already over 60% funded. The main reason for the effort is to publish The Perhapanauts: Into Hollow Earth, an original hardcover graphic novel. It’s a stand-alone story, so it should be fine for new readers. If you want to get the previous stories, there’s also a pledge level that includes all the books (at a reasonable price). Shipping is kind of high, but the print purchases also include a PDF copy.
Here’s the Kickstarter exclusive cover:
And the eventual retail version cover:
Even if you’re not interested in pledging, if you like cryptozoology, you should visit the campaign page, because the promo video is hosted by a puppet of Choopie, the chupacabra character who’s part of the team.
Oh, I’m definitely looking forward to this! Making a note to back this when I have a chance to look through the levels…
And I think I’ll have to pick up Treasure Obscura. It looks like there are some stories in there that I missed the first time around.
Writing about this made me realize I really need to figure out how much of it I already have. :)