IDW Relaunches Comic Apps With Madefire
IDW has moved its branded iOS apps from ComiXology to Madefire, relaunching with an IDW app for the entire digital library (over 3500 comics and graphic novels, they say), plus specific apps for Transformers, Star Trek, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics.
The big difference? Their new apps allow in-app purchases, unlike ComiXology’s, which require a trip to a separate website so Apple doesn’t get a cut of the purchase. Forcing that action is customer-unfriendly and likely removes a lot of impulse purchases.
If you sign up for a new IDW comic account this month (before July 12), they’ll give you 15 free collected editions, plus dozens of motion books. The comic titles are:
- Locke and Key Volume 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
- G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero Volume 1
- My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Volume 1
- My Little Pony: Friends Forever Volume 1
- Skylanders Volume 1:The Kaos Trap
- Star Trek Volume 1
- Star Trek The Next Generation/Doctor Who: Assimilation Volume 1
- Star Trek: Harlan Ellison’s City on the Edge of Forever
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume 1: Change is Constant
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret History of the Foot Clan
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate B&W Collection Volume 1
- Transformers: Classics Volume 1
- Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye Volume 1
- Transformers: Robots In Disguise Volume 1
- Transformers: Dark Cybertron Volume 1
They plan to launch Android and Windows 8 apps soon with “TV screens and console game devices” promised for later this year. If you’ve bought comics from IDW in previous apps, you’re able to sync your comics following their instructions. ComiXology has also published an article about how to keep access to your IDW comics in their app. IDW wants customers to access their comics in a variety of formats and stores, a strategy shared by other publishers. Along similar lines, while a lot of Top Shelf (now part of IDW) graphic novels are available in the Sequential app, they aren’t yet available in this IDW app, which so far focuses on mostly licensed publications.