Justice League Dark Second DCU Cartoon to Get R Rating; Trailer Now Available
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced release dates for Justice League Dark, a supernatural take on the DC universe that will be the second original animated movie with an R rating (after Batman: The Killing Joke). Here’s the description:
When innocent civilians begin committing unthinkable crimes across Metropolis, Gotham City, and beyond, Batman must call upon mystical counterparts to eradicate this demonic threat to the planet. Enter Justice League Dark, reluctantly led by the Hellblazer himself, John Constantine. Like Batman, Constantine is a cunning, often cynical loner who is the best at his chosen profession — but quickly realizes the sinister forces plaguing the planet will require help from other supernatural alliances. Forming a new “league” with sorceress Zatanna, otherworldly Deadman, and Jason Blood and his powerful alter ego Etrigan the Demon, this team of Dark Arts specialists must unravel the mystery of Earth’s supernatural plague and contend with the rising, powerful villainous forces behind the siege — before it’s too late for all of mankind.
And here’s the trailer:
It surprised me that Batman was the one to suggest calling in Constantine, because I still think of his character as anti-supernatural. I love that they’re using Matt Ryan to voice Constantine, though, since he did such a great job with the role on the TV series.
Other key cast member voices (several of whom have been in previous DC animated movies) are:
- Jason O’Mara as Batman
- Rosario Dawson as Wonder Woman
- Jerry O’Connell as Superman
- Camilla Luddington as Zatanna
- Nicholas Turturro as Deadman
- Ray Chase as Jason Blood/Etrigan
- Roger R. Cross as John Stewart/Swamp Thing (I hope that slash means “and”, not that the Green Lantern is now a muck monster)
- Enrico Colantoni as Felix Faust
- Alfred Molina as Destiny
The story is credited to J.M. DeMatteis and Ernie Altbacker (who worked on Green Lantern: The Animated Series) with teleplay by Altbacker.
The Digital HD version will be available on January 24, 2017, with home video versions following on February 7. Those include a Blu-ray deluxe giftset with a Constantine figure; a Blu-ray combo pack; and a DVD edition. The Blu-ray extras are:
- A Sneak Peek at the next DCU animated movie Teen Titans: The Judas Contract
- “The Story of Swamp Thing”, a featurette on the character created by writer Len Wein and artist Bernie Wrightson
- “Did You Know?: Constantine origin, Color of Magic, Black Orchid, and Deadman Casting”, described as “The creators of Justice League Dark will reveal surprising behind-the-scenes tidbits about the characters — and the actors providing their voices”
- The movie panel held at the 2016 New York Comic Con
- Sneak peeks for two previously released movies, Justice League: Gods and Monsters and Justice League: Doom
- Two cartoon episodes from Batman: The Brave and the Bold, “Dawn of the Dead Man!” and “Trials of the Demon!”
The DVD has only the Judas Contract sneak peek.