Suicide Squad Gets Another Movie — in the DCU Animated Universe
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced the next original animated DC universe movie. Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay will be available on April 10 on Blu-ray Combo Pack, 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Combo Pack, and DVD with an earlier digital release on March 27.
The Suicide Squad have previously been animated in Batman: Assault on Arkham, but that was set in the videogame universe and had a different voice cast.
This won’t be your typical cartoon, as Warner warns “Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay is rated R for strong bloody violence throughout, sexual content, brief graphic nudity, and some drug material.” Here’s the description:
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay finds Amanda Waller’s top secret “Task Force X” — Deadshot, Bronze Tiger, Killer Frost, Captain Boomerang, Harley Quinn, and Copperhead — on a mission to retrieve a mystical object so powerful that they’re willing to risk their own lives to steal it. But the Suicide Squad isn’t the only group of villains seeking to possess the object. The race is on for the golden prize … and, to stay alive, second place isn’t an option.
That’s not much to go on, other than it’s going to give us villains vs. villains, which should mean plenty of action. The voice cast includes:
- Christian Slater as the voice of Deadshot
- Billy Brown as Bronze Tiger
- Kristin Bauer van Straten as Killer Frost
- Liam McIntyre as Captain Boomerang
- Tara Strong as Harley Quinn
- Gideon Emery as Copperhead
- Vanessa Williams as Amanda Waller
- C. Thomas Howell as Zoom
- Dania Ramirez as Scandal Savage
- James Urbaniak as Professor Pyg
- Julie Nathanson as Silver Banshee and Jewelee
- Jim Pirri as Vandal Savage and Vertigo
- Greg Grunberg as Steel Maxum
- Dave Fennoy as Blockbuster and Tobias Whale
- Cissy Jones as Knockout
- Natalie Lander as Darma
- Trevor Devall as Punch
- Dave Boat as Harvey Dent/Two-Face
That’s quite the extensive cast! I’m particularly excited to see Scandal Savage and Knockout, since Gail Simone did such interesting things with them in Secret Six. The movie is written by Alan Burnett, who’s worked on a number of these direct-to-video animated films in the past, and directed by Sam Liu, ditto. Here’s the trailer, which gives little idea about the mystery Maguffin but indicates a road trip is involved.
Extras include commentary by Burnett and executive producer James Tucker and these three featurettes.
- “Outback Rogue: Captain Boomerang” — Audiences get a deeper look at this unconventional, yet entertaining villain from Down Under and how he’s evolved from the Flash universe to the Suicide Squad.
- “Nice Shot, Floyd! The Greatest Marksman in the DCU” — Floyd Lawton, AKA Deadshot, is one of the most popular antiheroes in the DC pantheon. An excellent marksman and assassin, he often brags that he never misses his shot. Take a closer look at this fascinating character.
- “The Power of Plot Devices, MacGuffins, and Red Herrings” — An insightful examination of the power of a good plot device and the important influence it has over story.
Plus a sneak peek at the next DC universe movie, which will be The Death of Superman.