Death of Superman Animated Movie Cast
We knew, from the announcement of the extras on the out-soon Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay animated movie, that the next film would be The Death of Superman, based on the 1992 event storyline. Now, TV Insider has more information from the Wonder Con just past.
First is the news that there will be a sequel, Reign of the Supermen, coming in early 2019. That follows the pattern of the original story, written by Dan Jurgens, Louise Simonson, Roger Stern, and Jerry Ordway. After Superman’s death at the hands of Doomsday, four other heroes took his place: Steel, Superboy, the Cyborg Superman, and the Last Son of Krypton.
Next is the casting:
- Jerry O’Connell as Superman (carrying over from Justice League Dark and other previous films)
- his wife Rebecca Romijn as Lois Lane
- Rainn Wilson as Lex Luthor
- Rosario Dawson as Wonder Woman (also in Justice League Dark)
- Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern (previously in Justice League: Throne of Atlantis and others)
- Christopher Gorham as The Flash (previously in Justice League vs. Teen Titans and others)
- Matt Lanter as Aquaman (previously in Justice League: Throne of Atlantis)
- Shemar Moore as Cyborg (also in Justice League vs. Teen Titans and others)
- Jason O’Mara as Batman (previously in lots of the DCU animated movies)
Oddly, the first DCU animated movie is considered Superman: Doomsday, but given that that was 30+ movies ago, perhaps they don’t see a problem revisiting this story, particularly since they’re promising that this new one will be a “faithful adaptation” of the comics.
The TV Insider piece also has a quote from Jurgens about whether he thought the story would work today. Short answer: probably not.