The Defenders Return… in Mostly Solo Issues
The Defenders happens to be the only Marvel series I’ve read absolutely all of. I’m not sure why I picked that one, but it was unusual enough for me to keep going through all the back issues, all 150+ of the original series plus the various short runs since.
The oddity of the character team-ups probably had a lot to do with that. Doctor Strange, the Hulk, Namor, the Silver Surfer, and Valkyrie are weird characters on their own; put them together and there’s lots of potential for interaction. (I know the name is currently being used for the Marvel Netflix TV character team, but that’s not what I’m talking about here.)
Marvel has now announced that “This December, Marvel’s favorite non-team — the original Defenders — return in all-new stories!” Which is exciting, except… the piece I liked most, the team together, seems to have been downplayed. The event will consist of “five interconnected specials that tell a unique and captivating story for each original Defender.” Which also means that Valkyrie is being left out. Shame — the macho guys needed a balancing force.
The five specials are
- Immortal Hulk: The Best Defense written by Al Ewing with art by Simone Di Meo
- Namor: The Best Defense written by Chip Zdarsky with art by Carlos Magno
- Doctor Strange: The Best Defense written by Gerry Duggan with art by Greg Smallwood
- Silver Surfer: The Best Defense written and art by Jason Latour
- The Defenders: The Best Defense written by Al Ewing with art by Joe Bennett