Well, That Was Quick! Venom Now Available for Home Viewing
Venom seemed like a crazy idea for a stand-alone superhero film, but it’s doing quite well. It’s a top 10 movie in domestic take for 2018, and it shows that Sony/Columbia doesn’t have to team up with Marvel Studios (as they did for Spider-Man: Homecoming) to make an enjoyable Spider-Verse movie.
What surprised me was that it became available for digital rental last week and comes out on Blu-ray and DVD tomorrow, December 18. This is unusual because its theatrical release date was October 8, and there used to be at least a three-month window to avoid theater owners getting mad about competition. Clearly we’re living in new and unusual times.
I haven’t seen Venom yet — I find the drooling alien with all the teeth off-putting enough I haven’t rushed out to see it — but the fan perspective, viewing the relationship between Eddie Brock (Tom Hardy) and the symbiote as a kind of yaoi romance, has intrigued me. The filmmakers are willing to play with that idea, with this “romantic comedy” style release trailer:
Certainly, a lot of people have taken to it as an exciting movie ride that stands alone, without having to buy into an entire universe of superheroes.
Directed by Ruben Fleischer and written by Jeff Pinkner & Scott Rosenberg and Kelly Marcel, the film stars Tom Hardy, Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed, Jenny Slate, and Woody Harrelson. Bonus features on the Blu-ray include:
- Venom Mode: When selecting this mode the film will engage informative pop-ups throughout the film to provide insight on the movie’s relationship to the comics, and to reveal hidden references that even a seasoned Venom-fan may have missed!
- Deleted & Extended Scenes
- Ride to Hospital
- Car Alarm
- San Quentin – extended post-credits scene
- From Symbiote to Screen: A mini documentary about the history of Venom in comics and his journey to the big screen. Interviews with Avi Arad, Matt Tolmach, Ruben Fleischer, Oliver Scholl, and director and comic fanboy Kevin Smith.
- The Lethal Protector in Action: Go behind the scenes with the production crew and learn the secrets behind the awesome motorcycle stunts, wire stunts, and drones.
- Venom Vision: A look at how Ruben Fleischer came to the project, gathered his team, and made Venom a reality. Utilizes interviews from cast, crew, and producers as well as Fleischer himself.
- Designing Venom: Designing and creating Venom meant a huge challenge for VFX artists.
- Symbiote Secrets: Blink and you may have missed it! Enjoy the hidden references throughout the film.
- 8 Select Scenes Pre-Vis sequences: See the progression of the visual effects, storyboards and fight chorography compared to the finished film.
- The music video “Venom” by Eminem
- “Sunflower” by Post Malone, Swae Lee (From Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)
- Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Sneak Peek: Meanwhile in another universe…
Did you see Venom? What did you like about it?