Captain Marvel Now Available on Home Video
Turns out a lot of people disagreed with me about the Captain Marvel movie — it was a blockbuster success! It made over a billion dollars in ticket sales! And it’s now available for home viewing.
Captain Marvel launches today on your favorite digital platform, with the disc version coming on June 11 in either the 4K Cinematic Universe Edition (4K UHD, Blu-ray, and Digital Copy) or a Multi-Screen Edition (Blu-ray and Digital Copy). I’m looking forward to giving the movie another viewing and checking out the extras (see below).
The digital version has “two exclusive features, including a behind-the-scenes visit with the Visual Effects team that makes the filmmakers’ visions of the MCU come to life (“Journey into Visual Effects with Victoria Alonso”) and an inside look at the epic team effort that goes into an action-packed sequence within a Marvel Studios film (“What Makes a Memory: Inside the ‘Mind Frack’ “).”
The extras available on both Blu-ray and digital include:
- Alternate Movie Versions — an introduction by directors/screenwriters Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck and/or a commentary with them.
- Six featurettes:
- Becoming a Super Hero – Follow Brie Larson’s journey as she joins the MCU, and see what it takes to be a Marvel Super Hero in every sense of the word.
- Big Hero Moment – Explore how impactful Captain Marvel’s entrance into the MCU is, and how she inspires audiences around the world.
- The Origin of Nick Fury – Witness some of the MCU’s most significant events through Nick Fury’s eyes, and see how his influence helped shape the MCU.
- The Dream Team – Discover why Anna Boden & Ryan Fleck are the perfect pair to direct Marvel Studios’ most powerful hero.
- The Skrulls and the Kree – Take a deeper look into the Skrulls and the Kree, their ongoing conflict, and the importance of shifting perspectives in the film.
- Hiss-sterical Cat-titude – The cast and crew dish on working with Goose and the raw talent it takes to portray such a complex character on-screen.
- Six deleted scenes:
- “Who Do You Admire Above All Others?” – Kree Commander Yon-Rogg must answer to the Supreme Intelligence, who questions his leadership ability.
- Starforce Recruits – Yon-Rogg lectures a roomful of students on the Kree’s mission to defend all nations from the scourge of the Skrulls.
- Heading to Torfa – Vers (Danvers) and her fellow Starforce members banter as they prepare for their rescue mission to Torfa.
- “What, No Smile?” – In this alternate version of a scene from the movie, Vers is consulting a map when she receives a dubious offer of assistance.
- Black Box – Keller attempts to track Vers and Fury after their escape in a quadjet from the Joint USAFA Facility.
- Rookie Mistake – Novice S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Phil Coulson helps Director Keller out of an embarrassing situation.
- And a gag reel.
I was hoping for an extra about setting the movie in the 90s, but I suppose that isn’t as relevant to the Marvel movie universe.
In case you’re looking for more Captain Marvel, here’s my review of the first issue of the current series, and an overview of the character’s costumes over time.