Kodansha (Vertical) Titles Come to ComiXology
I’m not sure I fully understand the business arrangement behind this, but a number of manga titles published here by Vertical have just become available on ComiXology. You have to look under Kodansha as the publisher, though, because they’re licensed by Vertical from Kodansha Ltd. and are being distributed by Kodansha’s US digital operation, Kodansha Advanced Media. (And good on them for working through what could have been complicated business aspects to make more manga available digitally and legally!)
Those now-available-digitally titles fall in two categories. The first contains those new to digital formats:
• Ajin: Demi-Human volumes 1-6. By Gamon Sakurai. The dark supernatural cult hit about a high school boy who attains immortality — and all the problems that go along with it. To be released as a Netflix anime series in 2016.
• The Flowers of Evil volumes 1-11. By Shuzo Oshimi. The acclaimed, and oddly moving, manga series about a bizarre love triangle among perfectly normal (?) high school kids seeking decadence in a small town.
• Witchcraft Works volume 1-7. By Ryu Mizunagi. The manga comedy about supernatural wars in an unusual Japanese high school and the poor guy caught in the middle, adapted into the anime series, now streaming on Crunchyroll.
Then there are those that have previously been available digitally elsewhere but are new to ComiXology:
• Chi’s Sweet Home volumes 1-12. The bestselling, heartwarming all-ages manga about the adventures of a mischievous, and painfully cute, stray kitten adopted by a human family.
• The Drops of God volumes 1-4 (plus New World). By Tadashi Agi and Shu Okimoto. The wine manga that changed the way people drink wine and perceive manga around the world.
• Knights of Sidonia volumes 1-14. by Tsutomu Nihei. The manga that became a hit anime on Netflix, by manga science-fiction legend Tsutomu Nihei, set in the coldest reaches of outer space.
These digital titles are also available through iBooks, Kindle, Kobo, and nook. You can find out more and see previews of each series’ first chapter at KodanshaComics.com.